Refrigeration equipment for businesses such as grocery stores, convenience stores, and restaurants can account for as much as 60% of electricity consumption.
If your business has refrigeration, installing energy-efficient equipment and controls on existing or new equipment can help you reduce energy costs, enhance equipment reliability, and improve your bottom line. The DCSEU provides standard rebates to District businesses for installing new, energy-efficient scroll compressors for walk-in coolers, as well as display case covers, evaporator fan motor controls, and door/frame heater controls. Rebates are also available for outside air economizers that take advantage of cooler outdoor air for chilling.
Serving Up Savings at Union Kitchen
Working with the DCSEU, Union Kitchen saved thousands of dollars. The result: happier chefs, lower energy bills for years to come, and a trusted partner to turn to for future energy decisions.
|ENERGY STAR Reach-in Refrigerators up to 80 cubic feet||Rebate|
|Glass or solid door < 15 cubic feet||$75|
|Glass or solid door 15 to <30 cubic feet||$125|
|Glass or solid door 30 to <50 cubic feet||$200|
|Glass or solid door 50 to <80 cubic feet||$225|
|ENERGY STAR Freezers up to 80 cubic feet||Rebate|
|Glass or solid door < 15 cubic feet||$100|
|Glass or solid door 15 to <30 cubic feet||$175|
|Glass or solid door 30 to <50 cubic feet||$250|
|Glass or solid door 50 to <80 cubic feet||$350|
All projects must be submitted for pre-approval prior to the purchase of equipment. Applications that are not submitted for pre-approval are not guaranteed to receive rebates from the DCSEU.
Total rebates are limited to $50,000 per location, per fiscal year.
Projects must involve a facility improvement that results in a permanent reduction in electrical and or/natural gas energy usage (kWh).
Projects that are NOT eligible for rebates through this program include but are not limited to the following:
- Fuel switching (e.g. electric to gas or gas to electric);
- Changes in operational and/or maintenance practices, or simple control modifications not involving capital expenditure;
- On-site electricity generation;
- Projects focused primarily on power factor improvement;
- Projects that involve peak-shifting (time of day savings) (and not kWh savings);
- Renewable energy projects;
Any products installed at a facility must be sustainable and provide 100% of the energy benefits as stated in the application for a period of at least five (5) years or for the life of the product, whichever is less. If the customer ceases to be a delivery-service customer of Pepco Holdings, Inc. and/or Washington Gas Light Co., or removes the products or systems at any time during the five-year period or the life of the product, the customer will be required to return a prorated amount of rebate funds to the DCSEU. Exceptions may apply for customers upgrading to more efficient products at their own expense.
- All equipment must be new; used or refurbished equipment is NOT eligible rebates.
- All installed equipment must meet state, federal, or local codes and requirements.
- Gas equipment installations must be performed by a licensed trade professional in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and District of Columbia code requirements.
- Projects must be installed on the municipal utility account listed on the application.
Before you purchase your new heating and cooling equipment, make sure it qualifies for DCSEU rebates.
Reach-In Refrigerators and Freezers (Solid Door/Glass Door)
- Specific products eligible for this rebate can be found in the “Products > Commercial Food Service” section of the EPA ENERGY STAR® website or by contacting the DCSEU.
- Eligible units are high-efficiency, ENERGY STAR qualified commercial reach-in units with solid or glass doors that meet the V2.0 ENERGY STAR specification.
Apply For Rebates
To apply for rebates, carefully follow the steps below:
- Download the rebate application (xlsx). Projects must use the current application.
- Submit your application for pre-approval.
- Receive confirmation of pre-approval and reservation of funds from the DCSEU.
- Submit your invoices and other required documents to the DCSEU via BusinessRebates@dcseu.com. Within five days of submitting final documents, you must provide the DCSEU access to your facility for inspection. The purchase and installation of materials must take place during the 90 day reservation period. Materials purchased 6 months prior to receiving pre-approval letter are not eligible for this program.
- Receive your rebate check from the DCSEU after your project has been inspected. Please allow up to 60 days for receipt of your rebate.
For questions about equipment rebates, or for questions about embarking on energy efficiency upgrades in your business, please contact the DCSEU at 202-479-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.