Clothes Washers & Dryers
Don't stop at just choosing an energy-efficient washer; pair it with an efficient dryer and save even more.
Clothes washers and dryers are the two highest energy-using appliances in the average home. Buying a new ENERGY STAR® clothes washer and dryer can reduce your energy and water use by 30%.
Yearly Cost Savings:
50% vs. standard non-ENERGY STAR Models
How to shop for an Energy-Efficient Clothes Washer
If you're in the market for a new clothes washer, there are many models available in many sizes, and with a wide range of features. With so many choices, picking the best clothes washer for your needs can be daunting. Here is a quick guide to help you purchase the right clothes washer for your home.
Laundry tips to save more energy
- Wash your clothes in cold water using cold-water detergents whenever possible.
- Air-dry clothes on clothes lines or drying racks when possible.
- Wash and dry full loads. If you are washing a small load, use the appropriate water-level setting.
- Dry towels and heavier cottons in a separate load from lighter-weight clothes.
- Don't over-dry your clothes.
- Clean the lint screen in the dryer after every load to improve air circulation and prevent fire hazards.
- Remove the lint that collects in the lint screen slot of your clothes dryer using the long nozzle tip on your vacuum cleaner.
- Use the cool-down cycle to allow the clothes to finish drying with the heat remaining in the dryer.
- Inspect your dryer vent to ensure it is not blocked. This will save energy and may prevent a fire.
- Follow manufacturers’ recommendations for using rigid venting material—not plastic vents that may collapse and cause blockages.
The DCSEU offers a standard $50 and a premium $75 rebate on qualifying clothes washers and a standard $50 and a premium $150 rebate on qualifying clothes dryers. The select appliances eligible for this rebate help you save more energy and money, while helping to protect the environment.
See below for Eligibility requirements.
View the list of qualifying clothes washers
View the list of qualifying clothes dryers.
The select ENERGY STAR clothes washers eligible for a $50 rebate meet the Consortium for Energy Efficiency’s (CEE) Tier 1 specifications. The select ENERGY STAR clothes dryers eligible for a $50 rebate are ENERGY STAR certified electric or natural gas dryers.
The clothes washers eligible for a $75 rebate meet CEE Tier 2 or 3 specifications, as well as ENERGY STAR Most Efficient specifications. Clothes washers smaller than 2.5 cubic feet do not qualify. The clothes dryers eligible for a $150 rebate are ENERGY STAR-certified dryers with heat pump technology.