The DC Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU) is a project of the Sustainable Energy Partnership under contract to the Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE). The DCSEU’s Business Energy Rebates program is designed to facilitate the implementation of cost-effective energy efficiency improvements for non-residential (commercial and institutional) customers. Funds are limited and subject to availability. Details of this program, including rebate levels, are subject to funding availability and may change without notice.
This DCSEU program offers rebates for common commercial and institutional energy efficiency products with documented energy savings including lighting, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, and food service equipment. Entities with multiple locations, or divisions of large corporate entities, may not be eligible and should call the DCSEU at 855-MY-DCSEU (855-693-2738) to determine if rebates are available for your company.
PROGRAM EFFECTIVE DATES (10/1/2020 - 9/30/2021)
DCSEU Business Energy Rebates applications will be accepted until allotted funds are depleted. The FY 2021 DCSEU program dates and application submission requirements are as follows:
- The purchase and installation of materials must take place during the 90 day reservation period.
- Customers who purchase materials prior to receiving a pre-approval letter are not guaranteed to receive a rebate.
- Materials purchased 6 months prior to receiving pre-approval letter are not eligible for this program.
- Once the 90 day reservation period has expired, the project will be terminated and funds are no longer reserved or guaranteed for previously approved measures.
- Projects must involve a facility improvement that results in a permanent reduction in electrical and or/natural gas energy usage
- To qualify for the Small Business Rebate amounts, the project must be completed at a facility in the District that is under 10,000 square feet
- Projects must meet the requirements detailed in DCSEU’s technical specifications
- Projects that are NOT eligible for rebates include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Any product installed at a facility must be sustainable and provide 100% of the energy benefits as stated in the application for a period of at least five (5) years or for the life of the product, whichever is less. If the customer ceases to be a delivery-service customer of Pepco Holdings, Inc. and/or Washington Gas Light Co., or removes the products or systems at any time during the five-year period or the life of the product, the customer will be required to return a prorated amount of rebate funds to the DCSEU. Exceptions may apply for customers upgrading to more efficient products at their own expense.
- All products must be new; used or refurbished equipment is NOT eligible for rebates.
- Installations must be completed in accordance with all laws, codes and other requirements applicable under federal, state and local authority.
- Projects must be installed on the municipal utility account listed on the submitted utility bill.
PROJECT PRE-APPROVAL AND POST-INSTALLATION DOCUMENTATION
All projects must be submitted to DCSEU for pre-approval. Incomplete applications may not be processed.
Total incentives are limited per site, per fiscal year. DCSEU may deny any application that may result in the DCSEU exceeding its program budget.
Rebates can be reserved for 90 calendar days, during which the rebate level is guaranteed —even if the rebate amount changes mid-year or end-of-year. After 90 days, rebate reservations are subject to termination.
Itemized invoices for qualified products, W-9 for payee, and DCSEU issue pre-approval letter need to be submitted within 60 days of project completion. The location and business name on the invoice must be consistent with the application information.
The DCSEU reserves the right to require additional supporting documentation as deemed necessary by the DCSEU to confirm eligibility and verify savings. Applicants are encouraged to call DCSEU Customer Support Specialists at 855-MY-DCSEU (855-693-2738) if they have any questions about documentation requirements.
All parties agree to allow the DCSEU reasonable access to the installed efficiency improvements, related equipment, and to all documents pertaining to the acquisition and installation of the efficiency improvements for a period of five years after receipt of rebate payment by the DCSEU. No payment will be made until the efficiency improvements have been installed, inspected, and verified by a DCSEU representative, or the DCSEU determines that an inspection is not necessary. When an inspection is deemed necessary, a customer signature will be required. The DCSEU reserves the right to reduce or eliminate incentives associated with the project if the proposed improvements have not been installed as specified, are not in use, or do not operate properly.
The calculated rebate as approved by DCSEU will not exceed 100% of the qualified product purchase price. To confirm the maximum rebate for any incentivized product, please refer to the most recent Business Energy Rebate Application. Customer is responsible for all costs associated with sales tax, installation, and disposal/recycling.
Products must be purchased, installed, and inspected before payment will be issued. Allow 60 days for delivery of rebate from the date of a completed site inspection by the DCSEU. Submitting an application with incomplete or missing information will delay check processing and delivery.
Providing false information or altered documents will lead to cancellation of this and future rebate applications, as well as the requirement to return any and all rebates issued.
COSTS AND TAXES
The Customer understands that the value of the installation costs covered by the DCSEU rebate may be considered by the Internal Revenue Service and other governmental authorities to be taxable income. The Customer therefore agrees to be responsible for paying any taxes or other governmental assessments that result from this agreement.
The DCSEU does not warrant the performance of equipment installed as part of any efficiency improvements. The DCSEU disclaims all warranties, whether expressed or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose, that the design, engineering or construction of the facility, the equipment for any efficiency improvements, or the installation thereof, complies with any specifications, laws, ordinances, regulations, codes, or industry standards.
The DCSEU is not responsible for the proper disposal/recycling of any waste generated as a result of the project. No particular manufacturers, products, or system designs are endorsed through this program.
CAPACITY CREDITS / ENVIRONMENTAL CREDITS
In accepting these terms and conditions, the Customer agrees that the DCSEU holds the sole rights to any electric system capacity credits and / or environmental credits associated with the energy efficiency measures for which incentives have been received. These credits will be used for the benefit of District of Columbia ratepayers.