If you need to replace an old or failing water heating system, or are ready to upgrade, we recommend that you:
1. Decide what size you need.
If your current water heater meets your needs most of the time, you can probably replace it with one the same size. Your DCSEU participating contractor can help you decide if a larger model is necessary.
2. Choose the best fit for your hot water needs.
High efficiency water heaters often require direct venting outside. Tankless water heaters require a certain amount of gas pressure to operate. Your installer can determine which models are a good fit for your home.
3. Get a quote from a DCSEU Participating Contractor.
Equipment must be installed by a DCSEU Participating Contractor to be eligible for rebates. The installer should confirm the optimal water heater size for you home. When requesting a quote, remember to:
- Request cost estimates in writing.
- Ask for references.
- Check to see if the company is licensed to perform heating and plumbing work in District of Columbia. Equipment must be installed by contractors licensed in DC in order to be eligible for DCSEU rebates.
- Confirm that the company will obtain a local permit to install your water heater and understands local residential building codes.