Home Energy Audits
Take the first step to saving energy and money in your home with a professional energy audit by a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® contractor.
When installed together, air sealing and insulation are the most cost effective way to save energy, reduce your heating and cooling bills, and make your home more comfortable.
What is a Home Energy Audit?
It is an assessment of where your house is losing energy, specifically trouble spots that can be fixed to make your home more energy efficient.
The 2 most common types of energy audits are:
- A simple do-it-yourself walk-through. This can help you find where energy is being wasted in your home and help you set priorities.
- A whole-house energy audit performed by a certified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor. This provides a more thorough assessment of your home's energy use and analysis of where you can save.
The DCSEU doesn’t perform energy audits, but we can help you find a qualified contractor.
Homeowners are encouraged to contact DCSEU with questions and energy efficiency guidance, or for help selecting a contractor.
Reasons to get a professional energy audit in DC
- Qualified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractors will guide you through the process of improving the energy efficiency of your home and identifying financial incentives.
- A whole-house energy audit focuses on ways to make your home comfortable, energy efficient, and healthy. A comprehensive audit includes checking for air leaks, examining insulation, inspecting heating and cooling equipment and ductwork, and performing a blower door test.
- All homes are different and need to be evaluated individually. It takes a home energy professional to evaluate your home and your family’s specific needs.