Take advantage of rebates on parking garage and other LED lighting products to cut energy costs in your DC business.
Lighting accounts for 20-50% of the electricity consumption at a business.
The DCSEU provides standard rebates to District businesses for installing a wide range of new, energy-efficient lighting and lighting controls, suitable for all types of business needs. Quality, efficient lighting not only lowers energy costs, it can influence the way people feel and perform and has been shown to increase sales, improve student grades, and raise employee productivity.
Make the Switch to LED Lighting
LEDs use up to 80% less energy than incandescent bulbs and can last up to 10 times longer. Combine that with the reduced heat output of LED lighting, and it’s a winning combination for your business.
See how the DCSEU is helping residents and businesses across the District save money and energy.
Economic growth that benefits small businesses
Participating contractors support DC's green economy by increasing the number of green collar jobs in the District and training entry-level professionals for work in a more sustainable DC.
|Lighting Controls (Occupancy Sensors & Daylight Sensors)||Rebate/Sensor|
|Wall-Mounted Occupancy Sensor: Minimum 50 watts Controlled||$15|
|Fixture-Mounted Occupancy Sensor: Minimum 30 watts Controlled||$10|
|Remote-Mounted Occupancy Sensor: Minimum 150 watts Controlled||$15|
|Fixture-Mounted Daylight Sensor: Minimum 30 watts Controlled||$10|
|Remote-Mounted Daylight Sensor: Minimum 150 watts Controlled||$20|
|Integrated Occupancy Sensor for LED Fixtures: Minimum 20 watts Controlled||$10|
|Integrated Occupancy and Daylight Sensor for LED Fixtures: Minimum 20 watts Controlled||$15|
|LED Pin and Screw Based Lighting||Rebate|
|ENERGY STAR® Directional R/BR/PAR 38-40||$5 / Bulb|
|ENERGY STAR® Directional R/BR/PAR 30||$5 / Bulb|
|ENERGY STAR® Directional (R/PAR 20)||$5 / Bulb|
|ENERGY STAR® (MR / PAR 16)||$5 / Bulb|
|ENERGY STAR® Omnidirectional (A-Type or Globe)||$3 / Bulb|
|ENERGY STAR® (Candle / Decorative)||$3 / Bulb|
|DLC Four-Pin LED Replacement Lamp||$3 / Bulb|
|Interior LED Lighting||Rebate|
|Recessed & Surface/Pendant-Mounted Downlight Fixtures||$15|
|Track Lighting Fixtures (Per Fixture Head) - Screw and Pin Based products not eligible under this category||$15|
|Portable Desk/Task Light Fixtures||$15|
|Undercabinet Shelf-Mounted Task Light Fixtures||$5|
|Refrigerated Case Light Door Fixtures (per linear foot)||$5|
|Freezer Case Light Door Fixtures (per linear foot)||$5|
|Display Case Light Door Fixtures (per linear foot)||$5|
|Ambient Light Fixtures||Rebate|
|2' x 2' Ambient Light Fixtures (Recessed, Surface and retrofit kits are eligible; Lamp and lamp style retrofit kits are EXCLUDED)||$15|
|2' x 4' Ambient Light Fixtures (Recessed, Surface and retrofit kits are eligible; Lamp and lamp style retrofit kits are EXCLUDED)||$15|
|1' x 4' Ambient Light Fixtures (Recessed, Surface and retrofit kits are eligible; Lamp and lamp style retrofit kits are EXCLUDED)||$15|
|LED Surface and Suspended Linear Fixtures||$15|
|HIGH & LOW BAY Fixtures||$60|
|DLC® 2' Replacement Lamps (Tubes)||$2 / Tube|
|DLC® 4' Replacement Lamps (Tubes)||$3 / Tube|
|Exterior LED Lighting (see application for qualifying DLC classifications)||Rebate|
|LED Exterior Fixtures <= 5,000 lumens||$30|
|LED Exterior Fixtures 5,001-10,000 lumens||$40|
|LED Exterior Fixtures 10,001-15,000 lumens||$50|
|LED Exterior Fixtures > 15,000 lumens||$80|
All projects must be submitted for pre-approval prior to the purchase of equipment. Applications that are not submitted for pre-approval are not guaranteed to receive rebates from the DCSEU.
Total rebates are limited to $50,000 per location, per fiscal year.
Projects must involve a facility improvement that results in a permanent reduction in electrical and or/natural gas energy usage (kWh).
Projects that are NOT eligible for rebates through this program include but are not limited to the following:
- Fuel switching (e.g. electric to gas or gas to electric);
- Changes in operational and/or maintenance practices, or simple control modifications not involving capital expenditure;
- On-site electricity generation;
- Projects focused primarily on power factor improvement;
- Projects that involve peak-shifting (time of day savings) (and not kWh savings);
- Renewable energy projects;
Any products installed at a facility must be sustainable and provide 100% of the energy benefits as stated in the application for a period of at least five (5) years or for the life of the product, whichever is less. If the customer ceases to be a delivery-service customer of Pepco Holdings, Inc. and/or Washington Gas Light Co., or removes the products or systems at any time during the five-year period or the life of the product, the customer will be required to return a prorated amount of rebate funds to the DCSEU. Exceptions may apply for customers upgrading to more efficient products at their own expense.
- All equipment must be new; used or refurbished equipment is NOT eligible rebates.
- All installed equipment must meet state, federal, or local codes and requirements.
- Gas equipment installations must be performed by a licensed trade professional in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and District of Columbia code requirements.
- Projects must be installed on the municipal utility account listed on the application.
Before you purchase your lighting, make sure it qualifies for DCSEU rebates.
- Must be a hard-wired or wirelessly controlled occupancy sensor.
- Remote or wall-mounted occupancy sensors must control at least 150 watts of efficient fixtures.
- Fixture-mounted occupancy sensors must control at least 30 watts of efficient fixtures.
- Integrated occupancy sensors must control at least 20 watts of efficient fixtures.
- Sensors must be passive, infrared, ultrasonic, or a combination.
- Rebate is per sensor.
- Daylight systems must be fully commissioned to realize savings.
- Remote-mounted daylight sensors must control at least 150 watts of efficient fixtures.
- Fixture-mounted daylight sensors must control at least 30 watts of efficient fixtures.
- Integrated daylight sensors must control at least 20 watts of efficient fixtures.
- Rebate is per sensor.
Apply For Rebates
To apply for rebates, carefully follow the steps below:
- Download the rebate application (xlsx). Projects must use the current application.
- Submit your application for pre-approval.
- Receive confirmation of pre-approval and reservation of funds from the DCSEU.
- Submit your invoices and other required documents to the DCSEU via BusinessRebates@dcseu.com. Within five days of submitting final documents, you must provide the DCSEU access to your facility for inspection. The purchase and installation of materials must take place during the 90 day reservation period. Materials purchased 6 months prior to receiving pre-approval letter are not eligible for this program.
- Receive your rebate check from the DCSEU after your project has been inspected. Please allow up to 60 days for receipt of your rebate.
For questions about equipment rebates, or for questions about embarking on energy efficiency upgrades in your business, please contact the DCSEU at 202-479-2222 or email@example.com.