Heating and cooling accounts for as much as 40% of the energy used in commercial facilities.
Today’s Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) equipment uses significantly less energy to operate than equipment purchased just a decade ago. Businesses can save money, increase equipment reliability, and create more comfortable and productive workplaces by making energy-efficient choices when installing, renovating, or replacing HVAC equipment. The DCSEU offers rebates on energy-efficient air conditioning systems, boilers and furnaces, controls and pumps, and water heaters that can help you save money at your business for years to come.
FY 2018 Standard Rebates for HVAC are now available. Custom rebates for HVAC equipment are also available.
Boilers & Furnaces (Natural Gas Only)
Condensing Boiler 75-225 kBtu/hr AFUE >= 90%
|Condensing Furnaces <225 kBtu/hr AFUE >= 95%|| $2.75
All projects must be submitted for pre-approval prior to the purchase of equipment. Applications that are not submitted for pre-approval are not guaranteed to receive rebates from the DCSEU.
Total rebates are limited to $50,000 per location, per fiscal year.
Projects must involve a facility improvement that results in a permanent reduction in electrical and or/natural gas energy usage (kWh).
Projects that are NOT eligible for rebates through this program include but are not limited to the following:
- Fuel switching (e.g. electric to gas or gas to electric);
- Changes in operational and/or maintenance practices, or simple control modifications not involving capital expenditure;
- On-site electricity generation;
- Projects focused primarily on power factor improvement;
- Projects that involve peak-shifting (time of day savings) (and not kWh savings);
- Renewable energy projects;
Any products installed at a facility must be sustainable and provide 100% of the energy benefits as stated in the application for a period of at least five (5) years or for the life of the product, whichever is less. If the customer ceases to be a delivery-service customer of Pepco Holdings, Inc. and/or Washington Gas Light Co., or removes the products or systems at any time during the five-year period or the life of the product, the customer will be required to return a prorated amount of rebate funds to the DCSEU. Exceptions may apply for customers upgrading to more efficient products at their own expense.
- All equipment must be new; used or refurbished equipment is NOT eligible rebates.
- All installed equipment must meet state, federal, or local codes and requirements.
- Gas equipment installations must be performed by a licensed trade professional in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and District of Columbia code requirements.
- Projects must be installed on the municipal utility account listed on the application.
Before you purchase your new heating and cooling equipment, make sure it qualifies for DCSEU rebates.
- Must be 90% AFUE as per ENERGY STAR.
- High-efficiency furnace must be less than 225 kBtu/hr in size and have a minimum 95% AFUE rating.
Apply For Rebates
To apply for rebates, carefully follow the steps below:
- Download the rebate application (xlsx). Projects must use the current application.
- Submit your application for pre-approval.
- Receive confirmation of pre-approval and reservation of funds from the DCSEU.
- Submit your invoices and other required documents to the DCSEU via BusinessRebates@dcseu.com. Within five days of submitting final documents, you must provide the DCSEU access to your facility for inspection. The purchase and installation of materials must take place during the 90 day reservation period. Materials purchased 6 months prior to receiving pre-approval letter are not eligible for this program.
- Receive your rebate check from the DCSEU after your project has been inspected. Please allow up to 60 days for receipt of your rebate.
For questions about equipment rebates, or for questions about embarking on energy efficiency upgrades in your business, please contact the DCSEU at 202-479-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.