The DC SEU has partnered with Industrial Bank to offer a special program through the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta, the Energy Efficiency and Weatherization Program. This Program provides forgivable loan funds of up to $12,000 for home rehabilitation to eligible homeowners.
District homeowners earning 80% Area Median Income or less, who live in single family homes, duplexes, townhouses, condos, cooperatives or manufactured/mobile housing titled as real estate. Homeowners must have owned the home for at least one year and plan to remain in their home for 5 more years.
What does the program provide?
A forgivable loan, up to $12,000, for energy efficiency and weatherization improvements and select safety improvements.
How is the loan forgiven?
The loan is forgiven at 20% each year, over 5 years. No loan payments are required.
What kind of improvements are eligible?
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Systems
- Low-flow plumbing
- Water heaters
- Other health and safety improvements
Homeowner participation requirements:
- Must complete a loan application and provide required income/asset documentation
- Must complete a phone session of credit counseling
- Allow pre- and post- inspections of the home to confirm/monitor work completed
- Meet the 5 year occupancy requirements